12/3/08

Noel

Nothing in its entirety-- throughout all of its extremities-- is ever true. At the end of the world, at the end of the day, no one was completely right. Neither were their philosophies or their perceptions of the "original truth" left-over from yesterday/the beginning of time. Flashing minnows nibbling at bits of golden droppings from the firmament. Back and forth between scraps of light, hoping that one day-- at the end of our existence, in the soft, apocalypse-black of closing eyes-- the lights we've gathered will shine bright like a planet puking its molten lungs out. Maybe that's why the theory of a bloody, explosive End Time is so intriguing. We want our lives to culminate, to solidify into something tangible-- if only for one, chaotic instant. Everybody wants to stop and realize something at the same time.

I think I'll go to Uganda for Christmas, fly into Kampala and hang around the business-center streets for a couple of days. I've been informed of a Dominoes pizza, there. Then, I could drive up to Jinja and explore the source of the Nile and go rafting. Or I could travel South to Kabale and hike in Africa's highest mountain range, and stay in a chilly cottage for New Year's.

I don't want to hear anything about the intrinsic falsities of that first statement. This is a blog. Anything with a name like "Blog" is predestined to be foolish. I sound so bitter. I'm a little boy and I'm bitter. Such a pity-- youth and vigor being squandered in nervousness and serpentine patterns in thought. I have a dream to be completely impulsive and magnificently strong, to live as the decision made after wisdom is sought. To be that final effort, energy, the last burst of resolve that makes ideas real.

Keith left today, for good. The second stretch of Congo might get a little lonely. I will be very busy I think, by the time I leave in Feb. All of yesterday, I spent with the teachers and students at Tanganyika School and set appointments to begin teaching there, next week. As soon as Madame Agnes is back in school (she's been suffering through malaria), I will begin teaching at the Kifungo Institute, as well. Jeane told me today that I "will be very busy soon" at the office; with what, he didn't say. I've also begun doing some writing for the FH Congo blog. Hey, the generator's running! Now, I can actually post this.

----------------
Now playing: Ry Cooder - La Bayamesa

No comments: