12/5/08

Essence

Inside a quiet holding cell. The mind is a deep burrow away from chaos, traveling far to cancel the outer- noise. As I walk, various peculiar things slide by, like drops of water rolling off of a zooming windshield. Conscience of the assaulting colours and many patterns, we may catch only their trails-- the remnant of our surroundings.

Oddities of life and business have corralled me inside of myself for as long as I can remember. Emerging from the gray-matter/mire can conjure a rude awakening, and I often completely avoid it. But the contact with World is needed. Outside, in the world, we gather our precious bits and swim back into our burrows.

Examination. Excruciatingly-thourough examination. Then, maybe we learn something.

Kostas and I are chatting now, and he asked me, "Do you feel that it [my experience, here] is meaningful?". Recently, I watched the twisted film Perfume. Subsequently, I learned a bit about the perfume-making process. Kind of like a deep episode of "How It's Made" on the Discovery Channel.

The essential scent of an organism is captured through a tedious, bizarrely-massive mechanism of stirring and boiling in cauldrons and sweating ardor (at least, it was in 18th century France). Animal fat is used to capture the scents of fruits, herbs, etc. and is then pressured until the desired essential oil drips from a tap.

Thousands of roses are gathered in order to obtain just

one

drop

of their "essence". In fact, around 60,000 roses produce only one ounce of oil.

I do feel cocooned now, even when so many strange things are happening around me. Even when I, myself, am doing these things-- having these new experiences.

A speck gleams and I grab it, and I'll stare at it for days, months, years. Until I know it and, then. Then, it is mine. It doesn't return to where it came from, because I don't discard it. I didn't use it; I slowly possessed it. The world quickly filled in the microscopic blank like liquid, after I snatched the thing so long ago. It doesn't exist Out There, anymore.

To answer Kostas's question, and to answer the same question that others have asked and will continue to ask me:

Yes!

No comments: