10/15/08

I Watch "Lost" A Lot

Bonjour à le monde! It's been slow-going here in Bukavu. Actually kind of tortuous, with transportation and accomodations for Kalemie playing hide-and-go-seek with me. It's been a little depressing, up until recently. On Monday, after several go-aheads and subsequent "actually, no" 's, I decided to bull-rush the gate to Kalemie and stay in a hotel until a room is open at the house, there. Of course, after this triumphant declaration, I found out that the plane leaving Tuesday... wouldn't be leaving Tuesday.

A small group of people who are travelling about FH sites, shooting a series of documentaries, was staying at the house with me, here in Bukavu. We were all planning on leaving together for Kalemie on Tuesday and were quite excited for the immenent atmosphere of fun and community and exploration and the reunion with Keith... and all that good stuff. But sadly, due to the transport-delay, the team had to pack up and head back to Kigali if they were to stay on schedule. While they were at the house, though, Lindsay, Sheryl, and Helmut (I'm not at all confident about those spellings. I based Sheryl's name off of Sheryl Crow.) were wonderful company! Really great people that I'm very pleased to have gotten to know a bit.

Thursday. A plane is supposed to be going to Kalemie on Thursday. That is my chance-- my getaway van, my Black Beauty (?). Most of my work there will be centered around communications (newsletter, blog, website, photography, etc.). I think I have mentioned this before, but I think it's worth reiterating: I really haven't had a lot to do in Bukavu. At the office, I spend maybe 25 percent of my time working and the rest learning French and listening to music and eating lunch and doing nothing. Needless to say, going into the office every morning has begun to feel a little pointless. And it's weird, sitting there doing nothing, while everyone else... isn't. So Kalemie, a field site with plenty of room for help which holds in store for me a job that I would actually enjoy doing and an up-close look at the impact FH is making, is looking like an oasis smack-in-the-middle of the Sahara, my friends. This is rather ironic, since Kalemie is generally looked at as less desirable among more civilized, populated, and acommodated locations. Kalemie has one thing for me that the others don't, though: something to do. I'm very anxious and excited to go. The trip has been postponed several times. Originally, I was leaving 3 weeks ago.

So I have been isolated for a while in this house. Only for the past two days have I been literally alone, here. But the natural estrangedness to a family of four mixed with a little apathy, self-pity, and guilt have set me apart from other people. It has been both good and bad. But I am ready to emerge from it. I haven't felt very motivated to write in this blog, either. It didn't seem as though there was anything to write about-- and if there was it was surely depressing. So I'm sorry if anyone felt neglected.

Earlier, when I talked about "Thusday" i might as well've said "Tomorrow". Because Tomorrow, I am leaving! I hope.

Another album I've been listening to: "Another Day On Earth" by Brian Eno.

Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thata boy, Nathan. I feel much better now. Keep writing even when you don't think you have anything to say. Now, don't be afraid to let us into your heart to hear what you are learning and thinking during all this. It's great to hear your "to-do's" on a daily basis, but I want to know what you are learning about yourself in some of your isolation and bordom. What's going on inside your soul? Any ephiphany's? What are you surprised with? What are you learning about yourself. Keep writing...we all love you.