10/7/08

But I Was At The Stern, Asleep On A Pillow

This is a great album. I've been listening to it a lot lately. "Songs For Beginners" by Graham Nash.
So I've kind of been struggling a bit, in-limbo. Just kind of feel like a slug, sitting at my desk in my room, watching movie after movie every night. I hate waiting for my life change-- that's what it feels like. At least, I am waiting for my circumstance to change, for my time to go to Kalemie. There may be a window of opportunity opening up here in about a week for me to go... although, I'm really just thinking aloud. Many things need to be confirmed for that to happen. Man, I love this album (mentioned above).

Don't think that I'm living in misery, shut off from light and human contact. I've been working more consistently at the office (haven't played freecell for a few weeks) and continuing to improve on my French. Also, I have a couple of special relationships with people here that are really a blessing to me.
I've been practicing an after-lunch-nap for the last week. On Friday, while I was asleep on the floor of someone's office, there was a little earthquake here. It kind of jostled me awake, but I promptly and fluidly resumed my snooze.
I walked home early that day, and was (sort of) pick-pocketed on my way. There was a middle-aged man walking close behind me for a while in a quieter section of town. He kicked my shoe once, probably to distract me, and I didn't really presume anything from it. Then I felt a tug on my backpack (the guy must have been a little out of practice) and turned around in time to see his hand retreating from behind me. So I just stood there, staring at him, for a little bit, and then walked away. Sure enough, he had been in the back pocket of my bag, but hadn't found anything worth pilfering. All I had in that pocket was the book One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest and an unidentified piece of folded paper.
Later on that afternoon, Kostas and I went swimming in the lake. We were looking up at the flurry of rust-colored hawks above us and talking while we trod water. He asked if I had felt the earthquake earlier, and it was really weird because I thought that I'd drempt the earthquake and all that.
I hope things are good for you. I really miss my family. That includes Grandma and Grandpa and Stremlers. Love you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sitting in Comm. Art thinking of you. Feels like we're so far apart in every way... Love you bro!

Emily

Anonymous said...

Nathan, you worry me when you don't write very often. Now that you started this blog, I want to see some kind of update everyday. I know you can do it. So, unless you are utterly depressed and cannot get out of bed in the morning I expect to know what is happening in your life. You started it!

Also, might be good to write about something your learning and doing so for us folks who are supporting you feel good about our investment :)

Take care and keep praying that Obama wins this election as we do every day at our dinner prayers.